10 Steps In Responding To A Flood
When water floods your home in Fitchburg, it is an overwhelming experience. Many property owners do not know how to respond, so they try to begin flood cleanup on their own. However, failing to follow specific steps can actually cause more damage, and mean longer restoration time for your home. Since all homeowners should be prepared for the possibility of flood damage, we at White Knight would like to introduce 10 steps that will help keep you safe and ensure a better flood cleanup for your home and property when responding to a flood.
Responding To Flood Damage In Your Fitchburg Home
- Contact your insurance agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from flooding, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which restoration company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Evaluate the structural integrity before entering a flooded area. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power to the area is turned off.
- Young children and pets should be kept out of the affected area.
- Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc) if you have to be in contact with water, and treat all water as if it is contaminated (most flood water is). Try to avoid any contact if at all possible.
- Document Damage. Take photos of the damage your property has ensued, and make a detailed list of damaged inventory. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before documenting it yourself. Photos and documentation will help to prove flood cleanup needed.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow will discourage microbial growth.
- Remove furniture or standing items that can be taken out of the area. Any belongings in the affected area will need to be removed before flood cleanup and restoration can begin, and items that have been damaged beyond repair will only take up space and hold onto unnecessary moisture in the area.
- Do not panic. It is stressful and overwhelming when dealing with flooding in your home. However, if you can stay, things will be much easier to deal with.
- Call the professionals at White Knight in Fitchburg. Our team is ready and available 24-7 to respond to your flood disaster as soon as it occurs. We will be able to assess the damage and begin extraction and drying as soon as possible. We will treat you and your home with the respect and care you deserve. We know how difficult flooding is, and the stress and worry it puts on you. We are here to ensure that your property is given the proper flood cleanup it needs to return to its original state as quickly as possible.