Many homeowners who have suffered water damage become overwhelmed with the cleanup process, so they just do the bare minimum to get by. However, what most people do not know is that even after water has been dried, if there is any moisture left behind, mold will then become a problem. Water damage is the gateway to mold damage, so when you fail to adequately clean it up you can almost guarantee even more problems. Still not convinced it is a big deal to clean up water damage right away? Let us help you understand just how bad mold is so you can understand how important fast and thorough water damage cleanup really is.
Mold is a fungus that grows and spreads through the production of spores. Mold spores are tiny particles that travel through the air and can survive harsh conditions that do not support the growth of mold. Because spores are so resilient and can be found virtually anywhere, if the right conditions present themselves in our homes (like a leaky or burst pipe, or any type of water damage), mold will most likely begin to grow. Porous materials, such as paper products, cardboard, drywall, wood, insulation, and upholstery are all great hosts to mold growth. When mold begins to grow on these types of materials, it can weaken the structure, and, in turn, the integrity of your home. If mold can destroy these types of materials, imagine what it can do to our bodies and health.
Allergens and mycotoxins produced by mold can threaten the health of all those exposed to it, and for people with asthma or any other respiratory diseases, the effects can be extremely dangerous. People who are more sensitive to allergies will often have increased symptoms if mold is present. Mold exposure can cause many symptoms including irritation to eyes, nose, lungs, throat, and skin, and can cause many respiratory problems including asthma, respiratory infections, sneezing, wheezing, shortness of breath and coughing. Certain types of mold can cause serious lung infections and scarring, which can make breathing even more difficult. For individuals who are chronically sick, or who have weakened immune systems, mold can be a serious hindrance to their health.
Mold is not something that should be ignored, or moved down on the list of things to take care of. Moisture is all around us, and so are mold spores, so it is no surprise that mold can grow anywhere and at any time. The best way to prevent mold growth is to get water damage cleaned up as quickly as possible by a professional team. If your home has ever sustained water damage at any time, you should assume there is mold. If you had a restoration team handle your water damage cleanup, you can rest assured that they took care of mold remediation, but if you tried to DIY your water damage restoration, you need to have trained professionals check for mold. White Knight has been rescuing homes in Madison from water damage and mold problems since 1990. We know how important a fast response is to protect your home from any further damage, and we are fully equipped, trained, and experienced to handle any water damage cleanup and mold prevention/remediation your home may need. So if you find yourself dealing with water damage, do not waste any time and call White Knight right away.
Please fill out the form below to request an appointment. If this is an emergency, please call 608-257-1991.
You may also text us to schedule an appointment at 608-224-9796.